Saturday, 30 July 2011

Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks Challenge - Teaching Outside the Box (1/52)


I stumbled upon this challenge as I was blog walking. I trailed Kim to her place after seeing her at Amy's place. While checking out her postings, I came across this interesting challenge. 

Since reading is my passion, I'd love to take up this challenge. Though completing this challenge seems far fetched as August is approaching, I'd like to Link Up. I'll try to make full use of the remaining 20 weeks.

Five books are still lying idly on my bookshelf. They beckon me to savour them from page to page. Hence, I would grab this opportunity to speed up my reading. I'm positive that I would be able to accomplish this mission if the challenge administrator would be kind enough to relax certain rules as I just signed up. Hope I would be allowed to review and post more than just a book a week.


Book 1


As I was browsing through the Net some where in May 2011 for the fresh new ideas in tackling young minds, I stumbled upon this book, Teaching Outside the Box: How to Grab Your Students by Their Brains. This indispensable book is authored by LouAnne Johnson, my favourite author who penned My Posse Don't Do Homework. It's quite a long wait and it has just arrived on my shore not very long ago. Now, I'm the proud owner of Teaching Outside the Box .

Teaching Outside the Box offers practical strategies that will help both greenhorns and seasoned teachers create dynamic classroom environments where students enjoy learning and teachers enjoy teaching. This  book is filled with no-nonsense advice, checklists, and handouts as well as practical suggestions for arranging classroom, talking to students, avoiding the misbehavior cycle, and making school a place where students learn and teachers teach. And also step-by-step instructions for introducing Shakespeare to reluctant readers.

Teaching Outside the Box  is indeed a good read and every teacher should own this book.



8 comments:

Kaz said...

Good luck Chinda. How I wish I cud join this challenge too, but with the coming fasting month and raya, it seems almost impossible. Again, all the best to u and I will be here to read your review.

Kim Turnage said...

Glad to meet you, Sophyta! Looking forward to seeing more of your reviews. And don't worry...I've linked up more than once a week a few times with no protests from Robin. Have fun!

Sophyta said...

Thanks Kaz. Yes, I wish you could join me in this endeavor too. But, not too worry I'll share as many reviews as possible here. Focus more on cooking and baking...looking forwards to more yummy and mouthwatering cakes and muffins.

Sophyta said...

Thanks Kim. I'm dumbfounded. It's amazing... a reading challenge could actually 'give' more than I asked for... friendship and knowledge which are the greatest treasure ever.

Amy Sullivan said...

Sophyta,
Love what you've done with your little section of the blogging world! It feels so light and it's easy to get around.

So glad you've discovered Kim. I love hearing about what she reads, and it always gives me good ideas for my own pics.

Can't wait to have you at my place on Friday.

Robin McCormack said...

Welcome to the challenge, Chinda. Glad to have you aboard and look forward to reading your posts. Happy Reading!

Sophyta said...

Hi Amy,
You deserve a big fat THANK YOU. If not because of you, I'd not discovered Kim. I love the way she did her reviews.

I've been waiting anxiously...to be at your place on August 5.

Sophyta said...

Hi Robin.
Thank you for visiting my place. I'll try my very best to meet the demand of the reading challenge.

MY POPULAR POSTS